ITEMS TO DONATE
- Sweet potatoes
- Brussel Sprouts
- Brown or wild rice
- Whole grain cereals, pastas, breads
- Steel-cut or rolled oats
- Whole wheat flour
LOW-FAT, LOW-SUGAR, OR LOW-SODIUM ITEMS
- Low-sodium beans, lentils
- Low-fat cheese, milk, yogurt
- Canned fruits and vegetables (packed in water)
- Low-sodium soups
- 100% fruit juice
ITEMS TO AVOID
- No food shelf is interested in spoiled produce.
- Many food shelves ask that donations exclude processed items or items the average consumer doesn’t recognize.
- Some food shelves have more refrigeration space than others. For food shelves with limited refrigeration, donate more shelf stable items like root vegetables, apples, or tomatoes instead of salad greens.
- Consult with your local food shelf for more items to avoid as well as preferred items.